Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Solo Trip 2013

With an extra week and a half off after Fragapalooza I decided to do another solo trip.  Last year I went to Yellowknife which was fun.  Wasn't sure where to go this year but in the end decided to go back to BC.

My original plan was to go as far as Penticton maybe and come back a different route.  Unlike previous trips I had nothing planned in advance...would basically plan each day the night before.

Wednesday was day 1 of my trip and I decided to camp in Lake Louise the first night.  When I got to the campground the sign said FULL...not a great start.  However I asked if they had any tent spots and was in luck...they had one.  They asked me if I would be willing to share with another biker if one showed up.  Of course I said yes.

After I had setup I went into town for supper.  When I got back and was thinking about starting a fire, 2 bikes showed up.  Some brothers were travelling to Alaska and needed a place to tent.  I welcomed them in and began to setup the fire.  One was from North Dakota, the other from Wisconsin.  We shared a fire, some beers and good stories.  We talked about their trip and I gave them some route ideas for their return trip.  Was a good evening!

The next day I made my way to Toad Rock.  You may have heard me mention it a number of times...it seems to be smack in the middle of some of the best riding around so I really liked it there.

Unlike previous trips when I would just hang out with my friends at the campsite, I wandered down to the social area.  I met some great people and had a great time!  In fact, I had such a good time that I decided to just stay at Toad Rock instead of going to Penticton.  There are enough roads to ride that I was sure I would not be bored.

Friday I decided to ride to Revelstoke for lunch.  It is about a 250km trip each way with 1 ferry ride.  I figured that would be a really nice day.  I didn't take into account an hour and a half wait for the ferry so any goofing around in Revelstoke was not in the cards.  While waiting for the ferry I met some bikers from Vernon and we shared a few beers and stories.  After lunch I headed back to Toad Rock and managed to get back about 8pm...little later than I intended but still in daylight - barely.

Went to the social area again and the people I met the night before had BBQ chicken and pasta for me...was a nice surprise.  I then met some people who were having their wedding reception in the campground the following day...they were just there setting up.  Nice people.

Saturday I went into Kaslo for lunch and just happened to run into everyone from the wedding.  Kinda funny!  I then rode down to Nelson to get some supplies and then back to Toad Rock for about 4pm.  Made some supper and it decided to rain.  I went and visited with some other people I met and proceeded to get really drunk.  About 9:30 the rain was stopping so we went and crashed the wedding.  $2 drinks made for a fun but bad night for me...got SO DRUNK, but had a really great time.

The plan for Sunday was to head to Radium and hang out with my brother and his family at their campsite and then head for home on Monday.  None of that happened...I was SO hungover that I never even started my bike that day...just kinda slept and vegged all day too sick to move.

I had told my wife I would be home Monday so I decided to get up and on the road bright and early.  I got the 8am ferry at Balfour and started the 900km trip home.  I knew it would be a long day but I was quite rested and have done long days before.

I strolled into the house about 8pm Monday night after a long day of riding...tired but feeling pretty good.

I had SUCH a good time on this solo trip that I am planning to do it again at least once next summer.  Maybe one where I stick around Toad Rock again, and maybe one where I go somewhere else.  Only time will tell.  :)


No comments: