Monday, October 3, 2011

Enterprise Rent-A-Car SCAM

So I had my car stolen during the July long weekend this year.  I went through my insurance company and they rented me a car from Enterprise Rent-A-Car.

I ended up having a rental for a month before the insurance company settled my claim.  In that month I ended up with 4 different cars from Enterprise for a number of reasons.

The first vehicle was the only one they had on the lot - a pick-up truck.  They asked me to come back later to exchange it for something else, which I did the same day.  I had that vehicle for a week as I had a trip to Calgary planned.  I returned that one due to the gas mileage being rather high.

The third vehicle is the one they claim I damaged.  I had it for almost 4 weeks during which I put just over 600km on it.  I noticed a noise coming from the front end while turning and noticed a piece of plastic molding came loose from the wheel-well and was rubbing on the tire.  I brought it back and let the staff know what the problem was.  They then requested I go to a different location as again they did not have any vehicles for me.  I went through the same process at the new location with the staff and they gave me another car.  I drove that one for almost a week before the insurance company settled and I had to return the rental.

At this point I was relatively happy with Enterprise and believed everything to be finished and this chapter of my life to be over.  I was wrong.

A few weeks later I received a bill in the mail to the tune of $637.23 for damage to the car (#3).  They included documentation from the body shop along with detailed information on the charges.

I went into the location this all started from to confront the manager.  He was not available so I talked with the acting manager.  I recorded the conversation and I asked the following question - "Do you perform a mechanical inspection after every rental to ensure there is no issues or damage?"  His response was "No."  I asked how they can bill me for damages that they cannot even prove didn't already exist when I took possession of the vehicle?  He did not have an answer for me.  He took my information and promised to look into it and get back to me.  I am still waiting.

I made a post on Twitter complaining about the lack of service from Enterprise and received a response back from their Twitter account.  It suggested I email them with the information.  I did just that.  I received a voice mail from the regional manager.  I returned the call and am still waiting for a return phone call.

The "deadline" came and still there was no resolution to this.  Knowing that they said they would process the charge on my credit card, I checked my account and sure enough - there it was.  I filed a dispute with my credit card company over the charge but fully expect it to go in Enterprise's favour. 

I then filed a complaint with the BBB in Edmonton (today) and am hoping it goes well.  Stay tuned.

I will be sharing this BLOG post with as many people as I can in the hopes that A) I get this issue resolved, and B) it protects some other innocent person from getting screwed over.

I will be contacting the GlobalTV Troubleshooter today as well and I am hoping that with all the negative press Enterprise will begin receiving, will be enough to get this resolved. 

All I want is my money refunded, any associated credit charges covered, and official apologies from Enterprise.  That's not too much to ask is it?

Stay tuned for details as this soap opera continues.

8 comments:

Keith A said...

Enterprise did the EXACT same thing to me when my car was damaged last year, Oddly it was $600 worth of damage. In my case when I returned the car, the girl walked out and immediately looked UNDER the front bumper and claimed I had scraped the paint off under there. I couldn't prove I didn't since I didn't look under there when I rented it but found it odd she looked under there. I have never seen a car jockey do that before. Seem like Enterprise has a new revenue stream for abusing and scamming their clients. Go National or Hertz...

Terina said...

I used to work for a dealership, and we had to rent out our courtesy vehicles. I've never heard of this happening...when we rented vehicles, inspections were only visual, not mechanical or in the undercarriage. Most people are gentle with rentals, because they're not their own vehicle, and don't want to be paying extra for a vehicle that isn't their own. I hope you are successful in your quest for the apology and reimbursed for the money they took.

Michael said...

So I posted a link to this Blog on the Enterprise Facebook page, and it got removed. I reposted it and it got removed again. They have now changed their page so you have to "Like" it before you can post anything on the wall. - LAME!

I have also had the link to this Blog tweeted to at least 5000 people so far, and I am hoping that everyone who reads it will support me by sharing it with all their friends. Hopefully with some pressure Enterprise will resolve this issue and change their policy to prevent this from happening to someone else.

imustbedave said...

Apparently they're having a stellar weekend at enterprise, Here's what happened to me... http://www.enterprisewillpickyouup.com/

Thanks for sharing...

Michael said...

So I just got off the phone with the regional manager out at the #yeg airport who said he would fix this issue for me. He asked what they could do and I said "refund the money". He said they would do it. Now I just have to sit back and wait for this to happen before I put this to rest.

Thanks to all who shared my story around the Internet. I have to think this had something to do with them finally working to resolve my issue!

Stay tuned for what I hope is the final word on this.

Unknown said...

Enterprise are screwing me over for £3500 of damage for something I haven't done. I rented a vauxhall corsa from them and it was revving and powerless to begin with. Then the car completely stopped after a half hour drive. There blaming me for wearing out a brand new car, the clutch gearbox and engine. How is that possible. Vauxhall have sent the report its due to customer wear and tear. Now i've been slammed with this fee. Im shocked. Please get in touch with me asap. I need some advice. I wont let them take the money, its an absolute joke.

Michael said...

Contact the regional manager for your area and discuss the situation with them. If you still do not get the resolution you want, ask for his managers name. They are obligated to give it to you so don't take NO for an answer.

If you still don't get the resolution you want, go public with it like I did. Negative publicity is really bad for business and they will soon come around. I waged an all out social-media war on them over my problem using Twitter and Facebook as well as my BLOG. It did not take them long to resolve it to my satisfaction.

Where I live there is a local News outlet that has a "troubleshooter". This person can help people in situations like you by interviewing you and making your story very public. Again, negative publicity is very bad.

Also, you can use their inspection of the vehicle when you rented it, against them. If they did not specifically check whatever item they are now claiming is wrong, then you can legitimately claim that it was a pre-existing problem. That is why I will always video tape pre and post rental inspections from now on and suggest everyone do the same.

Good luck!

Unknown said...

Thankyou for your help. Can you please PM me how to start the social networking war using FB and Twitter. Whats your advice to get loads of fans etc and people to listen.

Email: desi4reel@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks I'm getting more motivated now to actually fight such big guns.